Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Having a diverse student cohort is important to MRC LID. We recognise that academic and non-academic experiences enrich both staff and student learning and the LSHTM and SGUL communities as a whole.
However, our recruitment data over the 6 years of DTP1 (2016-17 to 2021-22) does not reflect this, with very few students from non-traditional backgrounds and/or ethnic minority backgrounds recruited onto the DTP. Consequently, a new MRC LID EDI Strategy has been developed which recognises the importance of tackling systemic barriers experienced by students in progressing to postgraduate research degree programmes and of taking a proactive approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Our new strategy adopts a firm commitment to anti-racism and decolonising global public health, widening participation, and cultivating a supportive, inclusive, and diverse community of future scientific leaders.
Under the new EDI strategy, MRC LID has committed to:
• Mandatory training for supervisors, MRC LID board and administrators
• Increase training and diversity on interview panels and board
• Widen recruitment strategies
• Expand links with Post ‘92 Universities
• Offer applicant workshops and social media outreach
• Take positive action to recruit and support historically under-represented groups
• Ring-fence 3 studentships per year for UK Black, Asian and minority ethnic students, with focus on 1+4 scheme
• Provide pre- and post-acceptance mentoring by EDI leads
• Provide top-up fee bursaries to successful students from low- to middle-income countries
• Create flexible opportunities to support student carers
• Use data and student engagement to monitor and evaluate impact of EDI strategy